Listen here, you little shit…
MADR ME LAUGH SO HARD
Lmfaooooooo I’m cryyyinggg
Strongest force on earth.
This is an important event in history, especially Canadian and feminist history. So I’m going to tell you more about it.
1) The shooter had been rejected from Ecole Polytechnique prior to the shooting. He blamed this on these female students, claiming that they were feminists who ruined his life.
2) In the first classroom he entered, he demanded the men leave before shooting at the women. No man attempted to stop him as they left. Take that as you will. (Later on, several men did get injured trying to stop him in the hallways.)
3) In his suicide letter, he believed that feminists were attempting to be more powerful than men, and were trying to take men’s rights away.
4) Feminists were actually blamed by some for the massacre. The line of logic was “if feminists didn’t make women’s rights an issue, Levine wouldn’t have wanted to kill feminists!” Victim blaming at its finest.
5) The mainstream news media often did not publicize the outrage from women’s groups, and often preferred those who took a calm approach. Ironic, that.
6) Despite him literally having a hit list of feminist icons in his final letter, several newscasters questioned whether or not the shooting was a sexist act, some even denying the idea outright.
8) Many memorials for the victims have been created, and rightly so; however, some prominent ones were erected in poor neighbourhoods where many Native women were killed every day in the same time period as the shooting (see: Marker of Change, Vancouver) (see: Missing Women, Vancouver). Basically, white feminism happened.
The entire event was nothing short of a tragedy, and I recommend that everyone read up on it and the resulting aftermath. It’s… interesting to see how the media tried to turn it into a random act of psychopathy instead of what it was (we know better now, luckily). The reactions (memorials, etc) to the deaths of these 14 White, middle class women as compared to the deaths of 60+ Native, lower class women are also “interesting” to compare. (By interesting, I mean infuriating.)
Interesting to note - his suicide note listed 19 feminists he wished he had also killed. He wrote:
So people who say “kill all radfems,” that’s quite some company you keep.
i love how he just carries potatoes around
If I consider you a close friend chances are I’m gonna be at least a little gay with you
Elsa got arrested
This is amazing.
let me go
let me go
Franz Kafka, postscript of a letter to Milena Jesenská (via bhagyawati)
Sometimes I forget. I think about me, my family and my life, I forget about the world. I forget that people are dying all around the world. I forget to thank God for what I have, I forget that my life is not as tough as I believe it is. I go around worrying about my weight, my nail polish, what new song is out, what just happened on Instagram or Tumblr. I am afraid that I am only human and forgetting is normal I guess but tonight I remembered and I will pray, not for me, I will pray for the world and I will ask God for forgiveness for forgetting.
Via The Atlantic
this was probably a first in beyonces whole life